Recently, I got into a discussion with friends about first break-ups and was remided of mine. For some reason the breakup itself wasn't nearly as memorable as the post-relationship analysis I received from my father.
The following exchange really occurred after I was dumped for the first time:
"***** dumped you huh?"
"Yeah"
"She say why?"
"No, though I'd be willing to guess by being away at camp for the last two months had something to do with it."
"Did you sleep with her?" This wasn't as odd a question as it may seem. ***** was 24 years old and something of a party girl and I was 15 at the time. We met because of my habit of going to establishments that don't usually allow people under the legal drinking age to come.
"No, I didn't." I said truthfully.
"I see..." There was a pause, "...Well, let me just say as your father I'm proud."
"Thanks Da-"
"But as your best friend, I mean, what were you thinking??"
"What do you mean?" I asked, more than a little surprised.
"Well, ***** is fun and everything, but sleeping with her would have been the most logical reason to date her."
Now, my dad isn't usually anything near chauvinistic, so I was understandibly perturbed.
"Let's see, she smokes, drinks, is a pizza delivery girl at 24, is dating a teenager, and has multiple piercings. She may also be the hottest girl you've ever seen in real life. So if you weren't planning on sleeping with her, what were you doing with her?"
I mumbled something indistinct and the conversation continued.
The rest of the conversation wasn't nearly as memorable, but it gave me something to think about.
That's also when I learned the rule of human behavior that if someone dumps the person they're with to be with you, they will dump you for someone else. Remembering that has saved me a lot of pain in future breakups and something I encourage everyone to remember.
Blog Archive
-
►
2008
(9)
- ► 10/12 - 10/19 (2)
- ► 09/28 - 10/05 (1)
- ► 05/18 - 05/25 (6)
